My golden paste recipe is simple to make, and offers many health benefits without the dangerous side effects of conventional drugs, such as Prednisone, and Metacam (meloxicam). Golden paste is an effective anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-carcinogenic – it is also rich in antioxidants. For more information about golden paste’s health benefits, you can read about the main ingredient – turmeric, here.
Golden Paste Recipe for Dogs and Cats
You Will Need the Following Organic Ingredients
- Turmeric powder – organic
- You can choose to substitute fresh turmeric root for powder.
- Use 1” of fresh finely chopped (pureed) turmeric root for every 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Black pepper – organic, fresh ground.
- Filtered tap or spring water.
- Saucepan – i.e. glass or stainless steel, NOT aluminum, NOT Teflon coated.
- Coconut oil – organic, cold pressed, unrefined.
- Can be incorporated into the recipe or given at correct daily dosage, along with the Golden Paste at meal time or treat time (see further below).
- Optional ingredients
- Dog-1safe, cat-1safe herbs and spices can be added to suit your dogs and cats 1specific situation.
Add the following ingredients to your saucepan –
- ¼ cup turmeric powder (or fresh root as per above).
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper.
- Optional ingredients –
- 1 tbs other 1safe, appropriate herb or spice.
- Mix these ingredients thoroughly but gently – powders become airborne if not gently stirred! And please note turmeric contains a strong natural dye (curcumin) that can stain clothes, carpet, counter tops etc.
- 1 ¼ cup filtered or spring water.
- Note – if you want to incorporate coconut oil directly into the golden paste, reduce the amount of water by ¼ cup, and add ¼ cup coconut oil.
- Personally I prefer to make the recipe with water, and add the coconut oil in the correct dosage per each dog or cat at his/her meals.
- By doing so I can ensure the daily intake of coconut oil matches the individual animal’s weight requirements.
- Daily dosage for coconut oil, cautions, and instructions on introducing coconut oil to your dogs and cats diet is provided here.
- For dogs and cats that cannot have coconut oil (due to a contradiction or ‘dislike’) another appropriate-to-your-animal, high quality fat can be used.
- Mix the powdered herbs/spices and liquid gently, making sure to completely blend the herbs/spices with the water to yield a smooth thick paste.
- You can add a little more water if you need to do so.
- Place the sauce pan on the stove top, on low heat setting for 7 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat after 7 minutes.
- Don’t worry if you have left the golden paste on for slightly longer.
- Allow the Golden Paste to cool.
Store Your Golden Paste -
- Transfer the cooled Golden Paste to a glass container/jar.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- You can double, triple, or quadruple the recipe as required to suit your situation.
How to Use The Golden Paste
When introducing any new item to your dog or cats diet do so gradually. Start at a very low dose and increase slowly.
Golden paste can be used short-term or long-term to suit your animals’ situation.
Daily Dosage – General Guidelines
- Minimum dose – 1/16 tsp per 10 lbs of body weight, 1x per day.
- Standard dose – 1/8 tsp, per 10 lbs of body weight, 1x to 2x per day.
- Maximum dose – varies per animal and condition being treated.
How to Add to Your Dog’s, Cat’s Diet
You can first introduce Golden Paste by incorporating a small amount into a treat – for example:
- Coconut, Turmeric Spice Drop Treats Recipe (do the no-bake version), or…
- Nutritious Homemade Kong Stuffer Recipe
- Immune System Boosting Treat
- Egg or Meatball Dog Treat Recipes
- Turmeric paste can be given with food at meal time.
- Or given with treats as noted above.
- Can be ‘pilled’ using a 1safe-for-your animal pilling substance. Use a natural food item that suits your animal – i.e. pure raw unpasteurized honey, an appropriate yogurt, cheese, coconut oil, ghee, or fresh food such as meat, fruit or veg.
- Do NOT use a highly processed food pilling product.
If you are using for preventative maintenance of a healthy animal - use a low daily dosage.
If you are treating an active, or chronic ailment, the dosage can be adjusted up from the standard daily dosage to the individual animal’s tolerance level.
Cautions, Contradictions, Drug Interactions
Golden Paste is not for every dog and cat!
For a list of (but not limited to) cautions, contradictions and drug interactions, see –
- Section 8.0 of my article on Turmeric and Curcumin for Dogs and Cats .
- Last half of my article of Coconut Oil for Dogs and Cats.
1‘Safe’ is used as a relative term, meaning safe for most dogs and cats. As with all ingested substances (foods, herbs, etc.) before you introduce a new item to your animal’s diet, make sure you thoroughly research relevant drug, food, health condition interactions, contradictions, cautions and side effects.
Holistic Health and Wellness
- If you require additional support and guidance, contact me to discuss your requirements. I will determine the appropriate course of action for your situation, and I will provide you with a quotation for cost of services.
- I offer holistic services to clients located around the world.
Holistic Dog Training Services
- Obedience Training
- Behavior Modification
- Psychological Rehabilitation
- In-person sessions
- Phone sessions
- Skype Sessions
Holistic Diet Nutrition Wellness Services
- Unbiased advice regarding Diet, Nutrition, Wellness, Food, Supplementation, etc. - for more information go here >>.
- Holistic Diet Nutrition Wellness Plans - for more information go here >>.
Please note - I do NOT sell food or supplements. I am not aligned with any companies. I do this so that I can remain 100% objective in selecting, recommending and prescribing the best solutions for my individual clients' situation.